Are you a parent in need of support?
Home-Start Sittingbourne & Sheppey may be able to help you by offering you a volunteer if you:
- live in Sittingbourne, Sheppey or the surrounding areas in Kent.
- have one or more children under the age of 5
- are going through a difficult time in your life
There are many reasons why you may need us. Perhaps you are:
feeling isolated, maybe with no family nearby and struggling to make friends
- suffering with post-natal depression and maybe finding it hard to talk to anyone about it
- having a hard time coping with your child’s illness or disability
- being affected by the death of a family member
- struggling with the emotional and practical demands of twins, triplets or children under 11
- finding it hard to cope with relationship difficulties
- feeling exhausted or depressed
- coping with your own illness or disability
What do we offer?
If we think you qualify for our service, a carefully selected and trained volunteer, who has parenting experience, can visit you regularly for 2-3 hours a week in your own home. Our volunteers are there to offer emotional and practical support which is based on what we together agree would be helpful. Our support is flexible and responsive to your needs and can include:
- being a listening ear or someone to talk to
- adult company
- helping and playing with your children
- help to find out about and access other local amenities and services
- encouragement and motivation
- practical help
We also offer a Twins Group. To find out more about the Twins Group please visit this page.
How can I get support?
You will need to speak to an early help practitioner such as children’s centre staff, health visitor, GP or school Family Liaison Officer.
Once we receive a referral we will contact you and arrange to visit to discuss what issues your family is having to deal with, what support is needed and how we may be able to help you. Home-Start Sittingbourne & Sheppey is an independent and confidential volunteer service – we only support you at your request.